World Radio Day

I love the wireless. Really I do. I could happily (or at least, comfortably) do without the telly but the radio is indispensable whether for keeping up with the Test Match, listening to a concert or just 'having on' in the background. And as a sometime-insomniac, BBC World Service is a lifeline in the long nights of little sleep. I can even listen without moving my head off the pillow (or having those annoying little bud phones in my ears) thanks to a wonderful gadget my wife bought for my birthday, which broadcasts the sound through my pillow!

All-in-all I'd say I'm a radio addict. And as such, I'm delighted that discover that the United Nations has decreed that there should, each year, be a World Radio Day to 'celebrate radio as a medium; to improve international cooperation between broadcasters; and to encourage major networks and community radio alike to promote access to information and freedom of expression over the airwaves.'

And it's today! Yes! So to celebrate, here's yours truly making his radio debut a long, long time ago... Don't laugh. I was only seven.

Popular Posts