Monday, 19 November 2012

Philip Ledger 1937-2012

I had no idea Philip Ledger, erstwhile Director of probably the most famous choir in the world, had been battling cancer so this morning's announcement of his death came as a shock. I'd never met him; never even been present at King's College, Cambridge, when he was there. (My first visit to the chapel to hear the famous choir was a year after he'd left Cambridge to become Director of the Royal Scottish Academy of Music; likewise he had long since departed UEA when I went there. But like almost all (English) choral singers, I felt an affinity that comes through singing so much of his music for so long - often, of course, at Christmas. His descants remain some of the best ever written and this arrangement of the traditional Sussex Carol has always been one of my favourites: